03 September 2022

The Nobel Prize

No, Social Policy Bonds are unlikely to win a Nobel Prize nor any major prize, despite the anonymous comment in this newspaper article (pdf), and their mention in Robert Shiller's 2013 Nobel Prize lecture (pdf, page 489). Why not? There may be other reasons but the two that come to mind are:

  • Social Policy Bonds do not originate in a member of an esteemed institution; and
  • Only the non-tradeable variant has actually been issued. 

The non-tradeable variant, also known as Social Impact Bond, pay-for-success bond, or social benefit bond, with which I've had no direct involvement, is currently deployed in about 25 countries, with varying levels of success. As I explain here and here, I'm ambivalent about them, and I still hope that one day my original conception will become manifest and help solve our long-term, seemingly intractable, large-scale social and environmental problems. 

In the meantime, I've added a Donate link in the right-hand column, in an effort to keep my SocialGoals.com site online, and to help pay my other expenses.


No comments: