19 August 2005

Sponsoring intermarriage

In my post about Israel Peace Bonds I raise the possibility that one way of solving the Arab-Israeli conflict is intermarriage between the two communities. This seems to be controversial, so I will elaborate.

First, I am not advocating intermarriage. Rather, I am advocating a policy that will encourage anything that will end the conflict peacefully. If intermarriage is likely to do then, I believe, it should be rewarded. Second, note that it is not me, nor any government official, who would sponsor intermarriage: it would be holders of Israel Peace Bonds. They would reward intermarriage only if they think doing so would help solve the conflict. I can't see anything very controversial about this. As human beings, most of us agree that anything that resolves conflict peacefully should be encouraged. Apart from fanatics, most of the devout on both sides of the conflict would also put human survival above ethnic purity or identity politics. There is very little intermarriage between the two communities today. Even a little could go a long way. Bondholders would be unlikely to pursue intermarriage as their sole solution - though if they did, and were successful, who could argue with that? Most likely it would be one of a range of policies aimed at increasing informal contacts between the two sides including, as I suggested, school exchange visits, sports teams and freer trade.

1 comment:

Serf said...

OK I am biased, I have a non-British wife. I believe that intermarriage can go a long way toward solving lots of conflicts between ethnic groups. The only worry I have is where religion is a big issue.